B.S./M.S. in Earth Science Composite Teaching
The Earth Science Composite Teaching major meets state requirements for Earth Science, Integrated Science, and Physical Science teaching endorsements. It provides students with the knowledge and skills to teach Earth Science, Physical Science and Integrated Science. It provides students with the knowledge and skills to build upon the curricula described by the Utah State Office of Education for the above programs. It provides students with the knowledge of math, chemistry, physics, and biology required to understand the earth sciences.
- Demonstrate mastery of the geosciences, chemistry, physics, astronomy, biology, ecology, math and atmospheric sciences that allow them to meet State requirements for Secondary Science Endorsements in Earth Science and Integrated Science and Secondary Licensure Program requirements within the College of Education.
- Understand the nature and origin of the materials that make up the Earth.
- Understand the dynamic processes that operate within the Earth from its deep interior to the surface.
- Understand geologic time and how it is measured.
- Understand the geologic evolution of the Earth and the development and evolution of life on Earth.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic geologic field skills.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the scientific literature, and skill in oral and written communication of scientific results.
- Ability to organize content for student learning and select appropriate evaluation methods to measure student mastery of the content.
- Ability to provide differentiated instructions and curriculum, adaptations, and modifications necessary to promote student learning.
- Ability to adapt instruction to cultural and language differences and to provide effective large group, small group and one to one instruction.
- Ability to assess student learning, including development and administration of assessment instruments and using the results to modify student placement and instruction.
- Demonstrate skills for student learning/classroom management.
- Understand teaching professionalism and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to engage in lifelong learning and understanding of the need to do so.
- Ability to pass the Level I Praxis Exam.
- K-12 Education
- Advanced Degree